Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Growing up in a Modern World

I got 17 emails today...

They were all fairly important!

I wish I weren't an adult.

Sometimes I am tempted to throw my iPhone into the river to be disconnected. But then I remember I should check the bus schedule online. On my iPhone.

Modern technology runs my life.

I have caught myself thinking about things and conversing with others by using anatomical names instead of common names of body parts. I told a friend my IT band/fascia lata was sore up close by its origin from the ilium, sacrum and a ligament of the pelvis (sacrotuberous ligament that closes off the lesser sciatic foramen), and they kind of looked at me funny.

I have been enjoying some of the ironic names of muscles, ligaments, and body parts way too much. For example, the pes anserinus on the medial knee means "goose's foot" because "they" thought it looked like that. There are many nerves and muscles that make no sense if you are trying to make a connection between what their names are and their origins or destinations, but then you are helped out a little when you learn they (the infamous "they") decided to name a nerve the nerve to the obturator internus and superior gemellus or the nerve to subclavius. These nerves actually do exactly what you think they would... innervate the muscles that are part of their name.

Thank goodness for the infamous "they". They motivate us to make our lives as automated and electronic as possible, and they name things after geese.

4 comments:

Guinevere said...

Wow, sounds like you need a break. Today! Tonight! Come play!

MiCKeY said...

And I thought I was doing good to know what a gluteus maximus is! Even though it's a LOT to memorize it sounds like you are enjoying it! We miss you!

Mickey & the gang

brenna said...

Wow-- I understood essentially none of that... Too smart for me!

Lisa said...

the best part is the ending about the "They".
:-)
made me chuckle.