Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Knee is great, class again

I am back in Boston and back in the normal routine. I was welcomed by COLD weather and ice everywhere, which makes walking not too fun. I have realized the truth behind the popular line that "Boston is a walking city." Things are very walkable which makes tourists happy, but when you live here and don't have a car, the public transportation requires much walking, whether you like it or not. I actually enjoy the walking after a long day of sitting in class, but I also am sometimes extremely scared of the combination of the ice and the instability of my knee.

My knee is doing well! I have to keep reminding myself that I got surgery 3 weeks ago and that even though I have my range of motion back, I still don't have the muscle strength or the ligament stability to do everything that I want to. I attempted to do some skills practicing that required a minimal amount of pivoting in a lab class on Monday, and I definitely felt it afterwards. My knee is very good at telling me when I have done too much.

I am excited to be able to get back into a routine! The cold weather does have one positive - it motivates one to get going from one place to another and not be idle/slow in transportation. It also limits the amount of social activities going on and makes one want to curl up on a blanket in front of a fireplace. There is a fireplace at a Marriott lobby close to my school, so hopefully I can turn the desire to curl up by/in warmth into some quality studying time.

The snow is also absolutely beautiful, in some places. The contrast between the snow and the gray water that I see out the window of my school every day is breath-taking. Boston is beautiful. I love the east coast!

This weekend I am going to Chicago, where it is supposed to be in the single digits and 10s. Guess I can't complain much about Boston (yet)...

4 comments:

Guinevere said...

Come sit by our fire and drink cocoa with me! And then we'll go snowshoeing down to the river and look for tracks. I've been finding lots of deer and rabbit and a mystery 4-footer. And then we'll come back to the fire!

And, when we meet tomorrow let's do pizza at my favorite hole-in-the-wall, and then hot chocolate.

PS I love hotel lobbies with fires!

Guinevere said...

And, YEAH for your knee!

Toni said...

I want to play, too. Wait...snow...never mind.

starryeyes said...

Glad to hear your doing so well with your knee.sounds like a fun place to be.. except for the cold weather.. I'm doing well Feel pretty good .. except for old arthuritis.. He's a Baaaad fellow.I love you and miss you.. don't know when i'll ever see you again.. Won't be still spring anyway.. loves ya a big bunch.. Tell guin i'm waiting for the Christmas pictures on her blog ..Grams